Dry scalp - symptoms, causes and solutions
1. Dry scalp - causes
2. Recognize symptoms early
3. Recommended care products against dry scalp
4. Tips for a healthy scalp
5. What home remedies help with dry scalp?
Dry scalp - Causes
Causes of dry scalp
Dry scalp (also known as seborrheic dermatitis) is an inflammatory skin condition that causes red, itchy and scaly patches of skin. Dry scalp can occur on the face or scalp. Dry scalp can be caused by several factors that vary from person to person. There are numerous causes of dry scalp, including autoimmune diseases (such as alopecia areata), genetic predisposition, hormonal changes in women during menstruation, underlying health problems such as hypothyroidism, yeast infections of the nails, and seborrhea.
Common causes of dry scalp:
- Hormonal changes in women during menstruation.
- Autoimmune diseases such as alopecia areata
- Genetic predisposition
- Yeast infections of the nails and seborrhea
- Dry or damaged hair
- Dry skin in general, including dry lips, noses, and eyes
- Dry air conditions such as dry winter weather
Recognize symptoms early
Dry scalp is one of the most common reasons for visiting a dermatologist. Dry scalp can cause various symptoms. Recognizing them is the first step to avoid inflammatory and itchy scalp and scalp damage.
When the scalp's natural moisture is lost, the protective skin barrier can become permeable. This allows pollutants to enter the scalp and cause micro-inflammation. Micro-inflammations then lead to symptoms such as itching:
- Moisture loss
- Brittle hair
- Feeling of tension
Recommended care products from Keune against dry scalp
Tips for healthy scalp
When you notice that your hair doesn't look as good as it used to, or if your scalp even feels dry and itchy, the following tips can help you maintain a healthy scalp.
1. If your hair is always sticking together on top of your head, it could be because you have dandruff. Dry scalp dandruff forms on the scalp when there is too much sebum (oil) in the hair follicles.
If an oily or dry scalp is causing itching and dandruff, you should use tar-containing shampoos that help remove these impurities from the hair roots without drying out the rest of the scalp too much. Dry shampoo can also be useful, but only use it if your scalp is oily or greasy, not after shampooing. Dry shampoo should only be used occasionally and no more than twice a week.
To avoid itching of the scalp, use an ordinary conditioner that does not contain much alcohol. It can help remove dead skin cells without drying the hair or scalp too much.
Apply the conditioner to your head starting from your ears and spread it evenly through your hair for about a minute before rinsing thoroughly with water.
5. if you wear your hair up, make sure that no product remains in the hair; this will prevent dirt from accumulating and causing dandruff on the scalp.
Keune mask leave to soak overnight
Without a long preparation time comes the Keune mask cure: apply a handful of the product on the scalp and then massage. It is best to leave it on overnight. A shower cap or cling film will prevent the moisture from dripping onto your pillow. In this way, you will gradually combat your dry scalp.